Disabled facilities grant

The disabled facilities grant can help towards the cost of adapting your home so you can live independently.

Am I eligible?

You can claim if you or someone living in your property is disabled and:

  • Is either the owner, or tenant of the property.
  • You can certify that you, or the person on whose behalf you are applying, intend to occupy the property as your main residence throughout the grant period – currently five years.

Landlords may apply on behalf of disabled tenants.

How much will I get?

We will need to carry out a financial means test to determine the amount you will be paid. This will look at your average weekly income in relation to your outgoings.  It takes into account any savings you may have above a certain limit, but not benefits such as Disability Living Allowance or Income Support.

There is no means testing for families of disabled children under 19.

If you do receive the Disabled Facilities Grant it will not affect any other benefits you currently receive. Find out more about grant amounts on the .gov.uk website.

How to apply

Complete a support enquiry and we will contact you to arrange a full care needs assessment. The assessment will initially look at what equipment or adaptations will make it easier for you to live independently.  For extensive adaptations, the financial means test will be carried out and you will be made aware of this during your assessment. 

You will then be given the relevant form to complete, or a member of the team will help you to complete the form.

For more information about grants and benefits you may be entitled to, get in touch with our Benefits Maximisation Service.