Marriages and civil partnerships

Giving notice of marriage or civil partnership

The following information relates to marriage or civil partnerships in England or Wales providing both parties:

  • are over the age of 18.
  • are British, EU or Swiss nationals.
  • usually reside in England or Wales.

If either party is a national from a country outside of the EU you will need to read the additional information for non EU nationals.

Where do we give notice?

You should give your notices at the Register Office where you have lived for the preceding eight days if you are getting married at a Register Office, approved venue or a religious building (except Church of England or Church in Wales as notice is not required).

If you live in Liverpool

The Register Office is at:

St George's Hall Visitor Centre
St George's Place
L1 1JJ

If you are unable to attend any of the places above due to long term or serious illness please contact us to discuss alternatives.

If you don't live in Liverpool

find your local register office.

Book an appointment

You must make an appointment to give notice of your marriage or civil partnership.

Read our privacy notice which tells you how we use your data.

Book an appointment to give notice of marriage

Book an appointment to give notice of civil partnership

Please note: Your appointment date and time will only be confirmed on screen once you have completed the online booking and made your payment. It will also be emailed to you if you provided your email address. If you don't see this information, your booking has not been made and you should contact us for further advice.

When should we give notice?

Notices are valid for one year. The minimum time between giving notice and getting married or forming a civil partnership is 28 clear days.

During busy periods there may be a 4-6 week wait to make an appointment, so please make sure that you allow enough time as we cannot always guarantee appointments at busy periods.

Although we are able to offer some appointments on Saturday mornings they may be booked on a strictly first come first serve basis.  Saturday availability is dependent on the number of ceremonies booked and may be limited during the busy summer months.

What is a Notice of Marriage?

The notice of marriage or civil partnership is a legal statement which you must sign. 

The notice states the names, age, marital status, address, occupation and nationality of the people intending to marry or form a civil partnership. It also states the intended venue for the ceremony.

Notices are displayed on the public notice boards of the register office for 28 days. Only then can the ‘authorities for marriage’ or civil partnership ‘schedule’ be issued. 

The 'authorities for marriage' or 'schedule' are only valid for use in the venue stated, so it is vital that you are certain of the place in which you plan to be married or form a civil partnership at the time of giving your notice. If you need to change the venue after giving your notice you will be required to give fresh notices stating the new venue.

How much does it cost?

The fee for the notice is £35 each (£70 per wedding/civil partnership).

What documents will we need to provide?

You will need to provide evidence of your name, age, nationality, marital status and address. The most commonly accepted documents are:

  • Name, age and nationality – current passport. If you do not have a current passport and were born before 31st December 1982, you will need to provide your birth certificate. If you were born after 1st January 1983 you will need to provide evidence of your parents' nationalities also.
  • Marital status (this is required when you have been previously married or formed a legally recognised civil partnership either in this country or abroad) – You will need to provide a Decree Absolute of Divorce or death certificate of former husband/wife/civil partner. A Decree Nisi of Divorce is not acceptable. Photocopies or faxes are not acceptable. If the document is in another language, we will need a translation into English.
  • Address - any of the following are acceptable (paper copies only, online documents are not acceptable):
    • Utility bill dated no more than three months before the date on which notice of marriage is given.
    • Bank or building society statement or passbook dated no more than one month before the date on which notice of marriage is given.
    • Council Tax bill or mortgage statement dated no more than one year before the date on which notice of marriage is given.
    • Current residential tenancy agreement.
    • Valid UK driving licence in the name of the person giving notice (full or provisional as long as all documents are originals as photocopies will not be accepted.

If you cannot provide any of the above documents please contact us for advice.