Houses in Multiple Occupancy: Guidance and licences

If you rent rooms in a multiple occupancy home the property must meet the required standards for tenants, with regards to health, safety and welfare.

HMO licences for houses with multiple private tenants

In order to ensure multiple occupancy homes are of a decent standard, landlords will need an HMO licence if a property has:

  • Three or more storeys (this includes cellars, basements and loft conversions).
  • Five or more tenants forming more than one household.

We have produced an HMO guide for landlords where you can find out more information.


Existing members of our CLASS membership scheme may qualify for a discount.

How to apply 

Please send your form, supporting documents and a cheque for the correct fee, made payable to Liverpool City Council to:

Public Protection Division
HMO Licencing
Cunard Building
Water Street
L3 1AH

Your application will only be valid if the form is completed correctly, full payment is made and the required supporting documents (see below) are included. Please be sure to write your name and the address of the property that is to be licensed on the back of your cheque.

We will not grant a licence until the applicant is proved to be ‘fit and proper’ as defined by the Housing Act 2004.

We are sorry but we are not able to offer an online application service at the moment.

Supporting documents

Copies of the following documents must be sent with a postal application along with your application form:

  • A signed and dated letter of authorisation (if applicable) if the owner's main residence is outside the UK. This is the owner's written and signed consent for the licence holder to complete the declaration in this application.
  • Licence holder proof of identification (i.e. current driving licence, passport, National Insurance document or Companies House registered address).
  • Licence holder proof of address (i.e. bank or building society statement, tax correspondence, council tax bill, business rates bill, utilities bill). Documents must be recent.
  • Planning Listed Building consent (if relevant).
  • Building Regulations approval or completion of certificates relating to any substantial building works or conversions (if relevant).
  • Management contract with the owner.
  • Valid electrical installation certificate (up to a period of 5 years) or valid periodic inspection report of the existing electrical installation (copy acceptable for submission of application. Originals will be requested at a later date).
  • Valid fire alarm test certificate.
  • Valid services contract for the fire alarm system.
  • Valid emergency lighting test certificate (if applicable).
  • Landlord's gas safety certificate (if applicable). Copy acceptable for submission of application. Originals will be requested at a later date.
  • Valid portable appliance test certificate by a competent person.
  • Sample of the current tenancy agreement (copy acceptable for submission of application. Originals will be requested at a later date).
  • Current lift safety certificate (if applicable).

HMO licensing register

The council must maintain a public register of all the premises licensed as a house in multiple occupation. A basic copy of the register is available to download below.

If you have any enquiries about a property which has been licensed or which you feel should be licensed and is not, please contact us.


Any appeal is submitted to the Residential Property Tribunal. From refusal of application there is 28 days to appeal to the Residential Property Tribunal.

Renewal process

Variations to Licences are requested and granted after payment of the fee - contact the City Council’s HMO Licensing Team. Reminders are sent to the Licensee when a renewal is due.