Dangerous and wild animals licence

You need a licence to keep some animals considered to be wild, dangerous or exotic, and meet the required standards.

See the full list of animals you need a licence for on DEFRA.

How to apply

Please contact us for a general discussion about your requirements.

After the initial discussions, if we are satisfied that you have the relevant documentation to apply for a licence we will let you know what the next steps will be, including how to pay the application fee and submit the required documentation.

We will also arrange to carry out the relevant inspections to make sure your premises meet the required standards.

If you are making a new application you will need to appear before the council’s Licensing Committee.


The annual fee is £144. Please note that this does not include the veterinary inspection fee.