Apply for a new private hire or taxicab licence
A new applicant is someone who has never been granted a licence by Liverpool City Council or whose licence has expired.
Before you apply
Take your original passport and/or right to work documents to our City Centre One Stop Shop between 9am-5pm, Monday to Friday.
You will also need to take proof of your address. Acceptable proofs are as follows:
- DVLA photo card licence - our preferred document.
- Bank statement - dated in the last three months.
- Utility bill - dated in the last three months.
- Council Tax bill - dated in the last 12 months.
An adviser will inspect and scan your original documents. We will then write to you to let you know if they have been accepted and tell you to apply for your licence online, as set out below.
If you fail to bring your original documents you will not be able to apply for your licence.
How to apply
If you have held a full valid driving licence for 12 months which has your current address on it, you can:
- Apply for your Certificate of Disclosure from the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) and a DVLA Mandate.
Personnel Checks, who will process your application on our behalf, will then let you know when to apply for the following:
Please note: If you have lived overseas for three months or more since the age of 18, you will also need a Certificate of Good Conduct.
Collecting your licence
Personnel Checks will contact you when your licence is ready to collect, tell you how to book an appointment to pick it up and give you a list of the documents you will need to bring with you. You will not be issued with a licence if you fail to bring these documents with you.
How much will a new licence cost me?
|Type of fee or certificate||Amount|
|Liverpool Standard Part 1 Certificate||Varies according to each approved provider|
|Medical Certificate||Fees vary from one doctor to another|
|Certificate of Disclosure issued by the DBS and a DVLA mandate||£86 - payable to Personnel Checks|
|Post Office ID verification service (payable to the Post Office)||£10.50|
|Issue fee (once licence has been granted) *||£150 (three year licence)
£60.00 for over 65’s only (one year licence)
* We are currently applying a £30 discount to the issue fee (pending a review). This means that the total you pay for a three-year licence (excluding any charges made for Liverpool Part 1 Certificate and your medical certificate) will be £208.57.
We cannot refund fees if you withdraw your application at any point, or if your application is unsuccessful.