Disabled children and young person’s passport

Local authorities have a duty to have a record or register of disabled children in their area under the Children Act 1989. Our disabled children and young person’s passport is Liverpool’s way of doing this.

Signing up for the passport is completely voluntary – but we would encourage you to do so.

Who can apply?

If you have a disabled child or young person between birth and 25 you can sign them up for the disabled children and young person’s passport.

Our local definition of disability is based on the Equality Act 2010 which states that a person is disabled if they have a physical or mental impairment that has a ‘substantial’ and ‘long term’ negative effect on their ability to do normal daily activities.

Some examples of what this would include are:

  • ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder)
  • Autism or Aspergers
  • Behavioural, emotional or social difficulties
  • Cerebral Palsy
  • Complex health needs
  • Dyspraxia
  • Global development delay
  • Learning difficulty
  • Mobility difficulty
  • Palliative care needs
  • Sight and/or hearing impairments.

How to apply

Email us at fsd@liverpool.gov.uk with the following:

  • the name of the child or young person, date of birth, home address, gender and disability
  • your relationship to them 
  • name of their parent or carer
  • address of the parent or carer if it's different to the child or young person
  • your contact telephone number

What happens next?

Once we have your details we will be able to keep you informed of what is available in the area and to tell you about any planned changes or developments that may affect your child.

You will also be able to create your own information passport about your child that you can print off and give to people working with them.

The information that we will get from you will give us a clearer picture of where disabled children live and what their needs are. This will help us plan support services more effectively when reviewing and setting them up.

Who will use the information I give to you?

The statistics we will get from the passport will be used for planning purposes. The information may be shared with genuine service providers of the council to process the information on our behalf.

We will also be working closely with the NHS in planning future integrated provision and may want to share the information with them.

Registering for a passport will not affect any services or benefits that you currently receive. It will also not guarantee your child any additional benefits of services.

Contact us