Care for primary-aged children
Around 50 hubs are looking after primary age children of key workers in Liverpool.
The strategically located school sites are only for primary age pupils whose parents are key workers and have no other safe childcare available to them, and will initially be open from 9am until 4pm.
There is no provision for secondary school pupils, but secondary schools are identifying vulnerable children and will be proactively contacting those parents directly to see if they need any support.
Care for nursery and early years children
Care for children in special schools
Some specials are open - Palmerston School, Princes Primary School, Hope School, Sandfield Park School, Woolton High School, Redbridge, Milstead, Abbotts Lea and Bank View – and will be in touch with parents regarding their capacity to support children.
Who is eligible?
The list of key workers is:
- Social workers, care workers, health and social care staff and those required to maintain the sector
- Teachers, specialist education professionals and nursery staff
- Staff essential to the operation of the justice system
- Staff involved in the management of the deceased
- Administrative staff in local and central government essential to the delivery of the COVID-19 response or the delivery of essential public services, such as the payment of benefits. This includes government agencies and arms-length bodies
- Staff delivering essential public services such as payment of benefits
- Staff involved in the distribution of food or other key goods
- Police and police support staff
- Fire and rescue staff and support staff
- Transport workers
- Utilities workers
- Probation staff
- IT staff necessary to support COVID-19 response
- Payment providers
- Waste disposal service presumably including refuse collection
In addition, other workers described include:
- Armed forces personnel
- MoD civilian staff and contractors
- National Crime Agency
- Border security
- National security staff
- Religions and charity staff
- Journalists and broadcasters
The council has also added university staff working in a research role to help fight COVID-19 to the list of eligible workers.
Parents working in these sectors may be asked to provide proof from their employer that they are eligible.
Where are the hubs?
As of 27th March 2020 four hubs have closed due to low numbers. See amendments below:
- Arnot St Mary, Arnot Street, L4
- All Saint's Catholic Primary, Oakfield, Anfield
- Anfield Road Primary School, Anfield Road, Anfield
- Banks Road Primary, Banks Road, Garston
- Barlows Primary School, Barlows Lane, Fazakerley
- Belle Vale Primary, Besford Road, L25
- The Beacon Church of England Primary, Heyworth Street, Everton
- Blackmoor Park Infants, Leyfield Road, L12
- Dovedale Primary, Herondale Road, L18
- Fazakerley Primary, Formosa Drive, L10
- Faith Primary School, Prince Edwin Street, L5
- Florence Melly Primary, Bushey Road, L4
- Greenbank Primary School, Mossley Avenue, L18 (closes 27th March - nearest available hub after that date is Liverpool College)
- Holy Cross Primary, Fontenoy Street, L3
- Holy Name Catholic Primary, Mosspits Lane, Fazakerley
- Hunts Cross Primary School, Kingsthorne Road, L25
- Kensington Community Primary School, Brae Street
- Kingsley Community School, Eversley Street (closes 27th March - nearest available hub after that date is Windsor Primary School)
- Liverpool College, Queens Drive, L18
- Matthew Arnold Primary School, Dingle Lane, Dingle
- Mosspits Lane Primary School, Mosspits Lane, Wavertree
- Middlefield Community Primary, Alder Wood Avenue, Speke
- Monksdown Primary School, Monksdown Road, Norris Green
- Norman Pannell School, Brownbill Bank, L27
- Northcote Community Primary, Cavendish Drive, Walton
- Our Lady & St Philomena's Catholic Primary School, Sparrowhall Road, L9 (closes 27th March - nearest available hub after that date is Holy Name Primary School, L10)
- Our Lady and St Swithin's Catholic Primary, Parkstile Lane, L11
- Phoenix Primary School, Birchfield Road, L7
- Pleasant Street Community Primary, Pleasant Street, L3 (closes 27th March - nearest available hub after that date is St Nicholas Catholic Primary School)
- Rice Lane Primary, Brockenhurst Road, L9
- Rudston Primary School, Rudston Road, L16
- Sacred Heart Catholic School, Hall Lane, Kensington
- Springwood Heath Primary, Danefield Road, Allerton
- Sudley Junior School, Aigburth Road, L17
- St Ambrose Primary School, Alderfield Road, L24
- St Christopher’s Catholic Primary, Tarbock Road, L24
- St Nicholas Catholic Primary School, Orthes Street, L3
- St Oswald's Catholic Primary School, Montague Road, Old Swan
- St Teresa of Lisieux Catholic Primary School, Uttington Avenue East, L11
- St John's Catholic Primary, Fountains Road, Kirkdale
- St Margaret's Anfield CE Primary, Lower Breck Road, Anfield
- St Paul & St. Timothy’s Infant School, South Parkside Drive, L12
- St Paul's Catholic Junior School, Spring Grove, L12
- St Sebastian's Catholic Primary School, Holly Road, Fairfield
- Stockton Wood Primary, All Saints Road, Speke
- Wavertree Church of England Primary, Rose Villas, L15
- Windsor Primary School, Upper Hill Street, L8
- Woolton Primary School, Out Lane L25
- Our Lady of Assumption, Hedgefield Road, Belle Vale
- St Hugh's Primary School, Earle Road, L7
- Our Lady Immaculate Primary School, Northumberland Terrace, L5
Director of Education, Steve Reddy said: “My appeal to parents is to only take their child to a hub if they are on the list of key workers and they have no other childcare available to them.
“I want to be really honest with people: I know that the list of sites is not perfect, and that it will inconvenience some parents, but we are trying to do our very best in what are very exceptional circumstances.
“I promise that we will be reviewing the situation every single day and we will let people know if we are able to open more sites, or have to make other changes.
“Please keep checking our website regularly for updates and bear with us as we prioritise support for parents whose job is essential to keeping the city functioning and do not have any other available childcare.”