Council Tax discounts, exemptions and disregards
We don’t count certain people when we look at the number of people living in a property for Council Tax purposes. If any of the following apply to you, you may be eligible for a Council Tax reduction or exemption.
- Single person discount If only one adult lives in the property, we'll reduce your bill by 25%.
- Full time student exemption If you're a full time student you might be entitled to a discount or exemption depending on who else is living with you.
- Disability reduction scheme If there is a room or other extra space in your property that is needed by a disabled occupant, we may reduce your Council Tax.
- Carer's discount If you care for someone over 18 for at least 35 hours per week, who is not your spouse or partner, you may be eligible for a discount.
- Second homes We don't give discounts for second homes, but if your job means you live elsewhere and pay Council Tax on the additional property, you may be able to claim a 50% discount.
- Reduction for severely mentally impaired If someone aged 18 or over who lives with you is mentally disabled, you may be entitled to a reduction.
- Apprentice discount We may reduce your Council Tax by 25% if your apprenticeship meets the relevant criteria and only one other adult lives with you.
- Nursing and care homes Nursing homes, care homes and respite facilities can apply for a reduction if all residents receive care in the building.
- Exemption for religious communities If you're 18 or over and an active member of a religious community you may not need to pay Council Tax.
- Prisoner discount We may reduce your Council Tax if the person who normally lives with you is in prison.
- Care leavers discount As a care leaver, you may be entitled to a reduction in Council Tax until you reach the age of 21.
- Foster carers discount If you're a registered foster carer for the council, you may be eligible for a 100% reduction in your Council Tax.
- Other discounts and reductions Empty homes and property exemptions, and other discounts and disregards.