Council Tax: Full time student exemption

If you live in a Halls of Residence you don't need to apply as an exemption is already in place. Please liaise with your student accommodation officer.

Eligibility criteria

If you live at home with two or more adults who pay full Council Tax, you are not eligible to apply.

To qualify as a full time student, your course must:

  • Last at least one academic year; and
  • Involve at least 21 hours study/tuition per week.

If you study for a qualification up to A level and you’re under 20, your course must:

  • Last at least 3 months; and
  • Involve at least 12 hours study per week.

If you are a Landlord you will be required to provide the name, date of birth and student identification numbers for each student in a property.

If you meet the above criteria, please apply for this exemption.

Start application