Help with Council Tax debt and managing money
We realise that our customers may have difficulty in paying their bills and require support from us or an advice agency.
If you are having trouble managing your money or are struggling with debt, you should get help as soon as possible. You can get free, confidential and impartial advice by visiting:
Council Tax arrears or debt owed to the council
If you are having problems paying your Council Tax, have Council Tax arrears, are struggling to pay back overpaid Housing Benefit, or owe other debts to the council, please contact us straight away so we can help.
The following guidance may help you:
- Sign up to pay by Direct Debit – it’s the easiest way to pay. You can set up your Direct Debit via your online Council Tax account today.
- Ask us to spread your annual bill over 12 months on a date that suits you.
- Claim Council Tax Support if you are on a low income.
- See if you are eligible for a discount or if your property is exempt.
- Contact us as soon as you receive a reminder, final notice or a summons to make a payment arrangement. The online personal financial statement is the quickest and simplest way to do this. We will work with you to agree an affordable repayment based on your income and outgoings. If you delay you may incur further costs and charges which will have to be paid.