Councillors & committees
How the council works
The council has agreed a constitution which sets out how the council operates, how decisions are made and the procedures which are followed to ensure that these are efficient, transparent and accountable to local people. Some of these processes are required by the law, while others are a matter for the council to choose.
The full council is made up of 85 locally elected councillors who make decisions on how to improve local services on behalf of local people. The way in which councillors make decisions is informed by the ideas of the political parties they represent.
Liverpool has a Leader and cabinet governance model. Cabinet members have defined responsibilities or 'portfolios'.
The Lord Mayor of Liverpool is chosen by the council and is the city's first citizen and representative.
Decisions and scrutiny of activities are undertaken through a range of Committees and Panels, including:
- Cabinet - chaired by the Leader and comprising nine cabinet members each with specific responsibilities assigned by the Leader.
- Select Committees - these monitor decisions made by the Leader and Cabinet and also examine ongoing performance within the City Council.
- Scrutiny Panels - these are focused panels established by one or more Select Committee to undertake an in-depth examination of a particular issue or service
- Regulatory Committees - these discharge a range of regulatory functions relating to planning and licensing matters.
- Other committees.
Find out more about the above committees.
Corporate Management Team
The day-to-day management of the council is carried out by the Management Team.
- Andrew Lewis, Chief Executive
- Matt Ashton, Director of Public Health
- Danny Clare, Assistant Chief Executive
- Dan Fenwick, Monitoring Officer
- Nuala Gallagher, Corporate Director of City Development
- Suzy Joyner, Interim Corporate Director of Children and Young People's Services
- Anne Marie Lubanski, Corporate Director of Adult Social Care and Health and Deputy Chief Executive
- Jacqui McKinlay, Chief Operating Officer
- Camilla Mankabady, Director of Communications
- Steve Moore, Interim Corporate Director of Neighbourhoods
- Barry Scarr, Acting Corporate Director of Finance and Resources and Acting S151 Officer
The Corporate Management Team works closely with the Mayor, the cabinet and councillors, to deliver the strategic direction and priorities.
They meet weekly to discuss key issues, such as the budget, transformation, performance and progress against our Strategic Improvement Plan, City Plan and Council Plan.