Councillors & committees
How the council works
The council has agreed a constitution which sets out how the council operates, how decisions are made and the procedures which are followed to ensure that these are efficient, transparent and accountable to local people. Some of these processes are required by the law, while others are a matter for the council to choose. The constitution is divided into 8 Parts, 14 Articles.
The full council is made up of 90 locally elected councillors who make decisions on how to improve local services on behalf of local people. The way in which councillors make decisions is informed by the ideas of the political parties they represent.
Liverpool has an elected City Mayor, Joe Anderson OBE. Mayor Anderson also chairs the cabinet which is made up of nine members appointed by him with defined responsibilities or 'portfolios'.
The Lord Mayor of Liverpool is chosen by the council and is the city's first citizen and representative.
Decisions and scrutiny of activities are undertaken through a range of Committees and Panels, including:
- Cabinet - chaired by the City Mayor and comprising nine cabinet members each with specific responsibilities assigned by the City Mayor.
- Select Committees - these monitor decisions made by the City Mayor and Cabinet and also examine ongoing performance within the City Council.
- Scrutiny Panels - these are focused panels established by one or more Select Committee to undertake an in-depth examination of a particular issue or service
- Regulatory Committees - these discharge a range of regulatory functions relating to planning and licensing matters.
- Other committees.
The day-to-day management of the council and its services is carried out the Management Team.
- Tony Reeves, Chief Executive.
- Jeanette McLoughlin, City Solicitor & Monitoring Officer.
- Martin Farran, Director Adult Services and Health.
- Steve Reddy, Director of Children and Young People's Services.
- Matt Ashton, Director of Public Health
- Camilla Mankabady, Director of Communications.
- Melanie Creighton, Director of Finance and Resources.
- Nick Kavanagh, Director Regeneration and Employment.
Each service area covers individual objectives under the council's key aims.