Challenge a parking PCN

Want to challenge a parking PCN?

You can make an informal challenge online, or write to us at Parking Services, PO Box 981, Municipal Buildings, Dale Street, L69 1JB within 28 days of receiving the PCN.

Make an informal challenge

You cannot make an informal challenge if you have already received a Notice to Owner - instead you may make a formal challenge (see below).

What happens next?

If your informal challenge is accepted you won't have to pay anything. If we reject the challenge, we’ll write to you and tell you how to pay or how to follow the appeals process (see ‘Want to appeal?’ below).

Please note that the 50% reduction for payment within 14 days may be lost if your informal challenge fails, or is received too late.

Received a Notice to Owner (NtO)?

If you haven’t paid your fine or made an informal challenge within 28 days, an NtO will be posted out to the registered keeper of the vehicle.

At this stage you can make a formal challenge online or in writing to Parking Services, Cunard Building, Water Street, Liverpool, L3 1AH, citing one of the reasons listed in the grounds on which a formal challenge can be made. Your formal challenge must be received within 28 days of the date on which the NtO was served.

Make a formal challenge for fines issued before 21st July 2015

Make a formal challenge for fines issued on or after 21st July 2015

What happens next?

Your challenge will be investigated and we will write to you to let you know the outcome within 56 days of receiving it.

Accepted reasons for a formal challenge

  • The alleged contravention did not occur.
  • I was not the owner/keeper of the vehicle at the time of the contravention.
  • The vehicle was stolen or taken without my consent.
  • We are a hire firm, and can provide evidence that the hirer signed an appropriate liability form.
  • The penalty charge exceeded the relevant amount.
  • There has been a procedural impropriety by the enforcement authority.
  • The traffic order is invalid.
  • I have paid the fine either in full or the appropriate discount.
  • (Regulation 10 PCN only) - There was no PCN notice on vehicle and the enforcement officer was not prevented from serving the PCN.
  • Other grounds.

Want to appeal?

If we reject your formal challenge and you still wish to dispute the PCN, you can appeal to the independent Traffic Penalty Tribunal (TPT). Details of how to do this are also printed on the rejection letter sent out to you.