Application closing date
The Get Connected free broadband offer closed on Friday 22nd April 2022.
Get free home broadband
If you live in Liverpool and your child is eligible for income-related free school meals, you could get access to a free broadband connection.
Get Connected is a council pledge to provide free home broadband for children and families in or at risk of poverty, to tackle digital exclusion.
It offers fully funded connections to up to 10,000 households and will see about 12,000 children offered improved access to online education.
It also means that older members of each household will be better able to access employment opportunities.
Am I eligible?
You may have already received a letter from us inviting you to take up this offer.
You can take up this offer if:
- you live in Liverpool
- your child is eligible for income-related free school meals
- you do not have an existing broadband connection
- you do not already have a mobile broadband device provided by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) under their scheme
Connections will be fully funded for 12 months and priority will be given to families with children in examination years.
If you are eligible for the free connection but do not have a computer, see if you are eligible for a free computer grant or other scheme.
How to apply
What happens next?
Once we confirm you are eligible, the broadband provider will deliver the MiFi device to your home. Instructions on how to set up the equipment will be in the package you receive.
You will also need a USB plug to recharge the device as only the cable is provided. The battery will last around 6 to 8 hours and it can take a maximum of 10 devices.
Please note, this is not a fixed broadband connection fitted by an engineer - it is a MiFi device which you will need to set up yourself.
Once set up you will get 100GB of data per month, for 12 months.
The equipment is pre-installed with safety filters to stop children accessing harmful content.
What happens after 12 months?
We are asking businesses to help by becoming sponsors. This means we can help more families Get Connected, and hopefully fund the connections past 12 months.
If we cannot provide further funding you can cancel after 12 months or pay to keep the broadband connection with the provider for a further term.
If you cancel the contract at the end of the term, you can dispose of any electrical equipment at your local recycling centre.
Unacceptable use of the internet
- Do not access any site which promotes, shares or contains any form of pornography, obscene, illegal, hateful or otherwise objectional materials.
- Do not download any illegal content or copyrighted material without the owner's permisison.
- Do not download illegal software.
- Be aware that any usage may be monitored for unusual activity, security and/or network management reasons.